Former Minister of State for Petroleum, Timipre Sylva, has requested the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to set a mutually agreed date for him to honour its invitation regarding an alleged $14.8 million fraud.
In a letter addressed to EFCC Chairman Ola Olukoyede, and acknowledged by the agency on November 26, Sylva explained that he is currently receiving urgent medical treatment for a life-threatening condition. He said he is consulting his doctors to determine if he can temporarily pause treatment to appear before the commission.
Sylva criticised the EFCC for declaring him wanted, insisting that he has never ignored any lawful summons. He noted that he previously appeared before the commission in December 2024 in connection with the same matter, after which he was granted administrative bail and told he would be contacted again if needed.
“The public announcement that I was declared wanted came as a shock, as no further invitation or correspondence was issued to me,” Sylva wrote, rejecting claims that he had violated bail conditions.
The former minister linked recent actions against him to mounting political pressure. He recalled a raid on his Abuja residence by operatives believed to be from military intelligence, during which his aides and domestic staff were detained. These events followed rumours linking him to an alleged plot against the current administration, which his media team has strongly denied.
Sylva warned that these developments could create a perception of political targeting. His media aide, Julius Bokoru, also criticised the EFCC, stating that Sylva was never contacted before being declared wanted and accused unnamed political actors of attempting to undermine him.
Despite the controversies, Sylva said he remains willing to meet with investigators once he receives medical clearance, emphasising that only the living can properly respond to allegations.





